Return to VNFAWING.com Website Return to Main Forum Index PageReturn to VNFAWING.com Website
:: Forum Index :: Zephyrnet Forums :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Groups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
?doppler effect?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VNFAWING.com Forum Index -> FAF General Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falcon500

Ensign

Post subject: ?doppler effect? Reply with quote
i know what the doppler affect is in the real world, but my pulse doppler radar doesn't really work on the orig. FA i have the min doppler range at fifty klicks and the speeds at 250 but it only can see things at 5 klicks. the radar is set as pulse wave, freq. hop, and doppler. TWS range at 49.9. i can't figure out what's goin on Evil or Very Mad
PostFri Feb 18 19:48:59 2005
kaptor

Developer/Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote
what are the "things" and what are they doing while your lookin for them?
I was very successful at simulating Doppler RADAR in FA in my old Kapset03 LIB and much of that knowledge has been transfered over into FAF.

"Oh the horror of the seven engine approach"

Missouri Flag

Half man, half machine, half timebomb.....
PostFri Feb 18 20:29:23 2005
falcon500

Ensign

i tried it against helos and f-111's but i wasn't getting a return until five klicks. i tried to match the APG-66 on F-16's at least i think they're puls/dopp but it isn't working right. once i turn the doppler off it works fine. i don't know? Confused I am just using FATK and i am not computer educated so don't use to big o' words. lol
PostFri Feb 18 22:26:16 2005
CAG Hotshot

Admin, Site Owner, Developer, Webmaster

Well, its kind of tough to easily explain... The best place to start is to ask, what aspect of the radar are you trying to simulate... exacty...

CAG out...
FAF/FA-2 Design team
TSH Member/Developer

-------- __@
----- _`\<,_
---- (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PostFri Feb 18 22:31:58 2005
falcon500

Ensign

well i tried to make it more like the APG-66 Laughing i don't really know the difference. i know that the doppler effect is "emit {return high} (closer) emit {return lower} (farther)" but pulse effect? i guess would be a "pusle" of radiation {watch} "pulse" its maken my head hurt. I know little "microscopic" bits of everthing when it comes to science/phyics.
PostFri Feb 18 22:45:24 2005
CAG Hotshot

That is all good and fine, but you are not saying what you want out of all the changes... What are you trying to have the radar do... more like the APG-66 in what way? What are you trying to do... It would be best to drop the electronic terms and just say what you are trying to get the radar to accomplish.

CAG out...
FAF/FA-2 Design team
TSH Member/Developer

-------- __@
----- _`\<,_
---- (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PostFri Feb 18 22:52:24 2005
falcon500

Ensign

See aircraft ships structures anf what not over the horizon. the radar is acting more like an MK 1 eyeball than a radar. ive been playing with it for the past 20 min. and i still can't get radar hits until five klicks.
PostFri Feb 18 23:06:52 2005
CAG Hotshot

Radar is line of sight... You see as far as you can from the altitude you can for the range you have...

The longer the range and the higher the alititude the better the radar picture, as long as you do not have to do to much lookdown...

Pulse doppler allows the radar to see moving objects against a fixed background of ground clutter... This is what makes 'lookdown/shootdown' possible, by allowing the radar to see movement of the aircraft aacross the ground...

But pulse doppler has problems also, aircraft can 'notch' the radar and hide by flying at the same speed as the aircraft tracking it, 'dissppearing' form the return...

Also if you 'beam' a doppler radar at 90 degrees from the emitting aircrat, then the radar will lose lock and you will also 'dissppear' from the return and stay invisible to the radar if you stay on a 90 degree flight path...

In FAF our radars do these things... in FA they dont...

Now FA game code has certain restrictions, it will not allow you to track certain objects beyond a certain range... Such as armored vehicles beyond 10 to 12 miles, but ships should lok up much farther then what you are seeing, you obvously have some settings incorrect...

CAG out...
FAF/FA-2 Design team
TSH Member/Developer

-------- __@
----- _`\<,_
---- (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by CAG Hotshot on Sat Feb 19 0:49:13 2005; edited 1 time in total
PostFri Feb 18 23:22:08 2005
falcon500

Ensign

Oye! i knew about the restrictions nd some about the high and far, well i heard of all of it but i don't have a memory at all. I'll play with the settings and see what i can do.
PostFri Feb 18 23:51:44 2005
kaptor

Developer/Moderator

falcon500 wrote:
well i tried to make it more like the APG-66 Laughing i don't really know the difference. i know that the doppler effect is "emit {return high} (closer) emit {return lower} (farther)" but pulse effect? i guess would be a "pusle" of radiation {watch} "pulse" its maken my head hurt. I know little "microscopic" bits of everthing when it comes to science/phyics.

Well the first thing you have wrong here is the concept of "Doppler shift". A higher pitch return means the target is approaching you NOT that it is closer. Inversly a lower pitch return means the object is retreating from you NOT that it is farther away.

"Oh the horror of the seven engine approach"

Missouri Flag

Half man, half machine, half timebomb.....
PostSat Feb 19 1:13:00 2005
falcon500

Ensign

i knew that to i just didn't write it i meant it's moving closer. anyway i gave up on it i am just taking the doppler off. i tried but i think the game is screwy Shocked what a surprise Wink
PostSat Feb 19 12:55:36 2005
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VNFAWING.com Forum Index -> FAF General Support Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: